Thursday, July 15

Oh SEPTA.....

As you know I've been biking to work for the past three weeks, but with the onslaught of inclement weather I figured I would take advantage of my 10-pack of SEPTA passes Sharon got for me. I actually don't mind biking in the rain, but my 5 miles of bliss riding through a park becomes a 5 mile mud/grit fest with a fine film to heavy layering of mud across my entire lower body. Some days when it's wet I need to stop by a stream and wash up. Gross. So I took the opportunity to use SEPTA (Go Green). Well I have to say, two days of SEPTA and 2 bad days with SEPTA.

First day:
Me:Excuse me can you tell me where the handicap section is on the train? (bikes share space with their wheelchair cousins, sounds smart)
Conductor: Let me ask you a question. Do I look handicapped to you?
Me: Ummmm (trick question?)No
Conductor: I don't see no handicap section here, must be at the other end
Me: Umm, I was just asking b/c of the bike
Conductor: I know why you was askin'.
Me: (walk away)

So, if I was handicapped would she have helped? Oh never mind, if you are in a wheelchair it's practically impossible to get to a train....silly me, the last handicap ramp to access a train platform I saw was padlocked and inaccesible.

Second Day, coming home:
Conductor: Where are you getting off?
Me: Suburban Station
Conductor: You can't, have to get off at 30th street station.
Me: ?(puzzled look) (There are 3 to 4 center city stops depending on who you ask, a ticket to "center city" costs the same no matter where you get off in the city.)
Conductor: It becomes a peak train when we enter the city so at that point no bikes are allowed.
Me: It's just one more stop
Conductor: You already have wheels, it's not that far.
Me: sizzle sizzle, evil thought, evil thought....then call customer service
Customer Service: How can I help you?
Me: Do I really have to get off a train at 30th street and not continue on just like every other paying customer?
CS: Ummm, I don't know, I'll ask.
Me: hold
CS: Sir, the conductor has the right to ask a bike to leave whenever they like.
Me: Really? that is insane, so I can't ever depend on being able to get on the train and getting anywhere?
CS: That's correct.
Me: Aren't you going green, this seems a little opposing to going green, kicking bikes off, you should be encouraging bicycles.
CS: I'm sorry sir, I just can't help you.
Me: sizzle sizzle, evil thought, evil thought

So, after all of that, I now hate SEPTA again, their employees are not friendly, helpful or polite, nobody actually understands their policies especially the customer.

Anyhow, that's my rant, I prefer the mud.

1 comment:

  1. That sucks. It makes for a good story for us to read, though!

    ReplyDelete